UNBROKEN REVIEW!!


HELLO FRIENDS, YOU MAY REMEMBER THE BEATEN TRACK PUBLICATIONS POST I DID YESTERDAY, WELL I TOLD YOU I WOULD BE REVIEWING SOME OF THE FEATURED BOOKS, AND THIS IS ONE OF THEM! UNBROKEN BY LARRY BENJAMIN ISN'T JUST A BOOK, IT IS A STATEMENT, AN EPIC STORY OF A REMARKABLE MAN AND HIS JOURNEY (GEEZ I AM WRITING THE REVIEW IN THE INTRO, THAT'S HOW GOOD THIS BOOK IS) JOIN ME FOR MY REVIEW, BUY LINKS AND A SHORT EXCERPT:



THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL QUOTE, AND A LESSON LINCOLN LEARNS IN THIS STORY: HERE IS MY REVIEW:


                                             Unbroken by: Larry Benjamin 
                                                                review by: Becky

My parents, unable to change me, had instead, silenced me. When they'd stilled my hands, they'd taken my words, made me lower my voice to a whisper. Later, I remained silent in defense, refusing to acknowledge the hateful words: Brainiac. Sissy. Antiman. Faggot. 


Lincoln de Chabert's life is pretty unremarkable until he comes home from kindergarten and announces he will marry his best friend, Orlando, when he grows up. 

His parents spring into immediate action, determined to fix him, igniting an epic battle of wills as Lincoln is determined to remain himself, and marry whom he chooses, at all costs.





I really connected with this book, and the reason for that is this author is so talented he wraps the story around you and brings you into it, you get so invested in the characters you laugh and cry with them, only a truly great author can do that!

Unbroken spans 40 years of Lincoln's life, the triumphs and tragedies, and his struggle to be his own person and love who he wants to in a time when it was unacceptable to do so. 

We meet the men in Lincoln's life, starting with Orlando in kindergarten, whom Lincoln said he was going to marry, sparking his family to try to hush him up and convince him he didn't feel about boys the way other boys felt about girls. It is heartbreaking the things that he had to go through, and you feel them just as he did.

When he is 12 he meets Jose, who he is attracted to right off, but Jose is "straight" so this is a pipe dream Lincoln thinks. You will meet the other men in Lincoln's life, one a good, if bittersweet experience, and one not so much, then there is college and there he rooms with Jose which becomes both the best and worst time of his life.

We find out about love, heartbreak, redemption and lastly family in this story, and while it is not always happy, each experience leads Lincoln to the man he becomes when he comes full circle at the end of the story. 

Grab this book friends, you will be so glad you got to experience this story just like I was! Thank you Larry, for wrapping us up in the wonderful world of a wonderful boy who becomes a remarkable man!

                                 the 5 Poseidon Adventure movie poster rating

I CHOSE THIS RATING BECAUSE THE SONG IN THIS MOVIE WAS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THIS BOOK! HERE ARE THE BUY LINKS:

BEATEN TRACK BUY LINK

AMAZON BUY LINK

OH YES MY FRIENDS YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS ONE! HERE IS AN EXCERPT FOR YOU:


It had been a particularly bad week, but it was Saturday and I was with Willow, who was my best friend, my shelter, the only person with whom I felt safe enough to be myself. A year younger than I, she was strong and sensible. A long elegant girl with broad flat cheekbones and perfect posture, she had Cher-long straight hair and carried the promise of great beauty. Her pale golden yellow skin called to mind long forgotten white ancestors and once prompted a darker-skinned rival to call her a “high yellow cow.” The name calling and taunts never bothered her, though. She just let the words roll over her like water down a duck’s back. I envied her cool detachment.
        “Come on,” she said trying to cheer me up, “Troy is taking me to see The Poseidon Adventure. Come with us.”
        I didn’t want to intrude but I perked up at the idea of spending time with Troy. Troy was seventeen. As a kid, he’d been as slender as Willow, but with puberty, he’d taken to eating great quantities of food and worked out constantly. Now his chest and shoulders were massively muscled. He walked with a kind of rolling swagger, holding himself tightly. His jaw was always clenched as if he were afraid if he relaxed he would smile, and his forehead was always furrowed in concentration or disapproval—I couldn’t tell which. His movements were economical, and manly. The tension in his muscle-bound body suggested great power and barely contained aggression. I found his aggression and exaggerated masculinity unbearably sexy.
        “You won’t be in the way,” Willow said, as if reading my thoughts. “He’s taking his girlfriend, too. I’m sure they won’t be able to keep their hands off each other, never mind pay attention to little sister here. I could use your company.”
        I hesitated, not wishing to seem too eager.
        “Come on, you can pretend to be my date,” she said.
        On the subway, Troy’s girlfriend sat while he stood in front of her. With the motion of the train he would sway towards her, hips thrust forward. She’d giggle and blush. Across the aisle, sitting next to Willow, I stared at his clenching buttocks.

        The movie was showing at the big old-fashioned theatre on Third Avenue, right near Alexander’s department store. Sinking into the worn velvet seat, embraced by the smell of popcorn, Willow beside me, I started to relax. From the moment the lights faded and the opening credits began, I was captivated by The Poseidon Adventure. To me it wasn’t about a ship sinking; it was about having the courage to forge your own path, even when everyone was telling you your path was the wrong one. It was about having the courage to believe in your own truth. For the first time in my young life, I grasped the concept of hope. There would be a morning after. I just had to make it through the long night of my adolescence.

SEE MY FRIENDS, THERE IS A METHOD TO MY RATING MADNESS :p! THANK YOU FOR JOINING ME FOR MY REVIEW OF UNBROKEN! I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH AND SO WILL YOU!





No comments:

Post a Comment