V.I.R. DAY 3: MARI CARDENAS!!


HELLO AGAIN FRIENDS! IT IS DAY 3 OF BIKE'S VERY IMPORTANT READER WEEK AND I AM THRILLED TO INTRODUCE THE V.I.R. OF DAY 3: MARI CARDENAS! MARI ALSO HAS A MM REVIEW BLOG AND IT IS FANTASTIC, I CAN'T WAIT SHOW YOU HER POST, SO HERE IT IS!



Hi everyone and thank you to Rebecca for having this fantastic idea. I’m very honored that you invited me to share how I got started with MM and my favorite authors.


My introduction into MM (or slash fiction, as we knew it back then) was around 2001 or so. I was very involved in the BtVS fandom and I just about did anything I could to be active. I wrote Spuffy fanfiction, read, beta’d, had a couple of groups with some friends and even got into judging. I was into MF back then, and the first time I had to judge slash fiction (MM or FF), I wasn’t too sure how to feel about it. Then I discovered Tokio Hotel and a friend directed me to a fanfiction site, which, as it turns out was mostly MM, twincest to be specific, and from then on, I was absolutely hooked.


From the Inside Out by Talya Andor was my first MM book, and while I haven’t read it years, I still remember it fondly.


I co-own a blog (Bayou Book Junkie) and I read anywhere between 30-40 books per month. While I still read MF every once in a while, I mainly read MM, or if the mood strikes and the blurb appeals, MMM. I read a bit of everything, historical, contemporary, sci-fi, paranormal, even BDSM, so long as it isn’t too hardcore. I love angst, the angstier the better, so long as there’s a strong HFN or a HEA. Actually, those I require even if the book isn’t too angsty, I read as an escape from reality, and I need at least the promise of the main characters’ happiness.


Narrowing my favorite authors down to three wasn’t an easy feat, but with the help of my co-bloggers, Tracy and Jaymie, I finally managed, even if I’m sort of stressing. Last time I tried to do a Top Ten, I ended up with thirty, just so you know, so this was kind of painful. LOL


One of my favorite authors is Nicola Haken. I fell in love with her writing when I read Being Sawyer Knight and then even more so after Broken and Counting Daisies, which remain two of my favorite books ever. I think I almost had a heart attack at some point during Broken, if you’ve read it, you probably know which part I’m referring to. And while both were absolutely heartbreaking and I cried and cried and cried some more, they had amazing HEAs, which made the journey worthwhile.


Another of my favorites is Brooke Blaine. I’ve read practically everything Brooke has written, MF and MM, and I’ve loved it all. While her MM has an angstier vibe, there’s still some of that humor that characterizes her MF L.A. Liaisons series and that made me fell in love with her writing. My favorites are the Unforgettable Duet, which is heavy on angst, especially on that second book, but is well-balanced with Ollie and Reid’s sweet and hot romance.

And last but not least, Lane Hayes. I can’t claim I have read everything she’s written, because I haven’t. I’ve read and listened to all the books in the Leaning Into Series, though, and I can’t get enough of them. In fact, I was listening to the Leaning into the Look audiobook last night and went to bed around 1:30am after crying my eyes out with it. (Are you seeing a pattern here? LOL) And last week, it was just about the same thing with Leaning into Forever. Still, my favorite of them all is Leaning into the Fall, which was a bit of a surprise, because let’s be honest, Nick is a bit of an acquired taste. 😉

And there you have it! Thanks for reading!

YAY MARI! I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS POST! I LOVE THE AUTHORS YOU CHOSE TOO, THOUGH ONE IS NEW TO ME! BOY IS MY TBR GROWING AND GROWING THIS WEEK! NOT MANY REVIEW LINKS FROM ME TODAY, BUT BELOW IS ONE FROM LANE! GRAB IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT, AND CHECK OUT ALL THE HIGHLIGHTED LINKS ABOVE!


THANK YOU TO MARI FOR THIS GREAT POST AND BEING AN AWESOME V.I.R.! SEE YOU GUYS TOMORROW FOR DAY 4!



No comments:

Post a Comment