HELLO FRIENDS, I HAVE A HUGE POST TODAY AND I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT IT! I AM FINALLY....FINALLY BRINGING YOU MY SERIES REVIEW OF HANS HIRSCHI'S AMAZING...NO.. GROUND BREAKING YOUNG ADULT SERIES (THIS NEEDS TO BE ENJOYED BY EVERYONE, NOT JUST YOUNG ADULTS) THE GOLDEN ONE. I HAVE MY REVIEWS OF ALL THREE BOOKS PLUS AN INTERVIEW WITH HANS HIMSELF SO BE SURE TO CATCH THAT AT THE END!
I THINK THIS QUOTE SUMS UP JASON AND THE MONUMENTAL TASKS AND DECISIONS HE HAS TO MAKE IN THIS SERIES! HERE ARE MY REVIEWS:
BOOK 1: THE GOLDEN ONE: BLOOMING
Earth is threatened by humankind. A long time ago, in an effort to help protect her creation, Mother Nature created the Ohana, a worldwide league of shapeshifters, to restore and maintain the natural balance. During particularly troublesome times, she deployed her ultimate defense, a delicate yet powerful golden butterfly, to change the odds in nature’s favor.
Blooming is the first book in the trilogy about Jason Mendez, a seventeen-year-old living a normal teenage life in a small town in the American Midwest. One day, Jason’s world is turned upside down when he realizes the dream he had the night before was in fact reality and that he was flying through a nearby meadow.
Jason is the Golden One, called upon to avert a major crisis threatening Earth. With no golden butterfly sighted since the final days of World War II, will Jason be able to walk in his predecessors’ shoes? Will he be able to replicate their historic achievements and save the planet from all but certain disaster? And what exactly is threatening Mother Nature to call upon the Golden One?
The Golden One is an exciting new fantasy trilogy dealing with urgent topics affecting humanity today.
When I pick up a Hans Hirschi book I know two things, that it will be an emotional ride, and that it will be an exceptionally detailed work. I love both these things and as I expected, they held true for the Golden One Blooming.
We meet Jason, who has a lot to deal with in this first book, from finding out things about himself that shouldn't be able to happen..like, oh I don't know.. BEING ABLE TO TURN INTO A BUTTERFLY, to finding out that he is the chosen one, the one who can save the whole world from evil and destruction.
Hans is a master at weaving together the threads of a story so you feel like you are in it, even if it is a whole new world within a world. I am being evasive but I really don't want to give the story away, I will say that you will get caught up in learning about Jason, and the ups and downs of the path a chosen one has to walk. You will also meet secondary characters, some more delightful than others, but all of them are described so well you think you know them!
I can't wait for those who haven't read this book to dive in, you are in for one heck of a ride for sure, 5 stars for this book!
BEATEN TRACK PUBLISHING LINK
BOOK 2: THE GOLDEN ONE: DECEIT:
The global Ohana is planning for the transition of power, and its head, Dawit Abraham, is anxious to meet the Golden One. Shortly after, Jason begins to experience strange dreams. All the while, he and his four friends are trying to figure out why Mother sent the Golden One to Amberville. Powerful enemies lurk in the shadows, ready to make Jason's existence a living hell.
Hold on to your hats for this one friends, because it is one HELL of a second book in this series! You get to see Jason and his friends evolve from characters you learn about, to ones you are rooting for and are invested in, this is a feat that only a great writer can accomplish.
If you thought Jason was dealing with a lot in book 1, then you haven't seen anything yet! The death of a loved one, money issues, and heartache to name a few, then you throw in an evil beyond belief and you have the makings for an epic story for sure!
Jason is the leader of the Byeonsin, humans with the ability to turn into animals, and with that comes great risks, and Jason has to figure out how to save mankind from an evil that wants nothing more than absolute power and destruction! The friend dynamic in these books is amazing and you will find yourself wanting to be part of it!
I love that the book ties in real world issues, such as animal conservation and environmental issues in an educational way that is also entertaining. Hans delivers a vivid and fantastical nexus of storytelling for sure, this is a 5 star read all the way!
BEATEN TRACK PUBLISHING LINK
BOOK 3: THE GOLDEN ONE: RECKONING
Jason is staying with the ailing Cheyenne elder Ninovan. Only the most heartbreaking news from Amberville can bring him back to face the biggest trial of his young life. Will Jason be able to fulfill his final mission as the Golden One? A mission from which no Golden One has ever returned?
This is an epic end (that I was sad to see come and also elated to finally be able to read) to a fantastic trilogy! You will be stunned with how the author has been able to evolve the characters and plot in these books.
I must point out that you need to grab your tissues for this one, because Hans always, always, brings his readers to the brink emotionally, be it joy, despair, or empathy, you will feel it profoundly.
Jason has power that staggers even him, and he must use every ounce of it to try to save all of mankind and earth itself, and the way he goes about it will leave you riveted to the page.
I don't do spoilers but I can say that you should get ready to run the gamut of emotions in this epic conclusion to an amazing series! Hans outdid himself but I knew that he would, another 5 star read of course!
BEATEN TRACK PUBLISHING LINK
this series deserves nothing less than the 5 golden butterfly rating!
THANK YOU FOR READING MY REVIEWS OF THE GOLDEN ONE SERIES, I KNOW YOU WILL LOVE IT AS MUCH AS I DO! GRAB THESE BOOKS WITH THE LINKS ABOVE ( THE BEATEN TRACK LINK WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE LINKS YOU NEED) SPEAKING OF LINKS, YOU CAN FIND HANS AT THE LINKS BELOW:
NOW I AM EXCITED TO BRING YOU MY INTERVIEW WITH HANS! HE HAS SOME GREAT ANSWERS SO TAKE A LOOK!
1. What do you most like to write fantasy, sci fi or contemporary and why?Each genre has challenges unique to it, challenges that are fun to tackle. Although, you’ll find that even my Sci-Fi and Fantasy are very realistic and “grounded” in a reality people easily recognize. My writing style doesn’t really work if I have to spend a lot of time with e.g. world-building. For me, the genre is always secondary, it’s the story that decides what genre is best suited to tackle the challenge presented by the plot and the characters. And the problems my books deal with are always grounded in our current civilization.
Bec- This is true, your books are always relatable no matter what world they portray!
2. You have written children's books, I believe the second one is out soon right? Do you find it challenging to write for children?It’s out today (2/20.) Yes. Writing for kids is hard. Every word needs to be meaningful yet I also want to make sure to not treat them like imbeciles and to stay away from words they might not know. It’s striking the balance and finding a way to “explain” the concept of the book. I often read in papers about “who do you explain to your child…” That’s what my books do for LGBT issues. “Love is love” is the topic of the first one, having kids is the topic in book two. There’s a lot of re-writing as part of the process, especially if you also want to make it into something the kids will enjoy, a fairytale they find exciting. Nobody likes a preachy book…
Bec- No worries there, my daughter loves the first book so much! Congrats on being #1 for this new book by the way!
3. If you could go back and change one of your books would you? If so which one? ( I personally wouldn't change any of your books).Not change, but proof again. Each of my books I read has typos. Not a lot, but they hurt me when I find them. But no, I like my books the way they are. I guess I’m a conceited SOB.
Bec- Nope, not conceited, knowing you, you don't put out a book you even have a bit of an issue with, so I would say satisfied, not conceited :)!
4. What book of yours do you relate to most and why?Usually the one I’m working on. But I still feel that The Fallen Angels of Karnataka is my most “important” one. I feel a certain proximity to young Haakon and the scene at the Seine when Michel passes away is still my favourite one. I recently visited Paris and the “bench”. I’ve been contemplating writing Michel’s story, as sad and tragic as it is. We’ll see.
Bec- I do so love that book, though the reader needs to invest in tissues before starting it ;), a book in Michel's POV? Oh boy I hadn't thought about that!
5. Can you tell us a subject you will absolutely never write about?Hmm, let’s see: I’ve covered death of kids, death of a partner, dementia, child abuse, pedophilia, pornography, physical and sexual abuse. Not sure I have a taboo. Maybe incest? I honestly don’t know. It really depends. I’ve just had a long conversation the other day with a mother who lost her son to suicide. That is certainly something I would like to tackle if the right character comes and talks to me. Never say never is a good thing to stick to in all aspects of life because you really never know what life has in store for us.
Bec- Having lost a parent to suicide, I can tell you that a story about it would be welcome, I know you would address it with utmost care, and I think i will keep reminding you (i.e. bugging you gently) to write it!
Thanks Hans, for answering my questions, I really enjoyed it!
THANKS FRIENDS, FOR JOINING ME FOR MY SERIES REVIEW OF THE GOLDEN ONE SERIES AND INTERVIEW POST! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT, AND IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS AUTHOR OR THESE BOOKS, PLEASE DO SO TODAY!!
(CLICK THE BEATEN TRACK LOGO BELOW TO SHOP THESE AND OTHER GREAT BOOKS NOW!)